Environmentally Friendly and Recycled Art Projects for Kids
Art projects are activities that stimulate a child’s creativity as well as provide an educational lesson for whatever the project is for. Art projects do not have to only be about the art that is being completed, it can also be about other subjects – including environmental friendly ideas – that teach children the importance of the environment. Art projects can become expensive because of the materials that need to be used, especially when purchasing the right type of art supplies to protect the environment. Although it can cost additional money, you can often find deals for earth-friendly art supplies.
One way to save money with art projects is to have the children bring in items from around the house that they do not use anymore. Anything can be made into art from shoestrings to empty paper towel rolls. Cut the paper towel rolls in diagonal shapes and create abstract art. You can also use bottle caps from the recycling bin to make lockets or necklaces. Using items from around the house and recycling them into art projects is not only easy on your pockets, it also helps kids become aware of the environment. Make sure the children understand how the art they have created reduces the amount of waste that is being thrown away.
Other ideas include making a bird feeder from an old Frisbee that you have lying around. Using this as a way to help feed birds is a great way for your kids to understand that nature and the environment go hand in hand. Another object that can be used for you is to clean out an ice cream carton and use it as a personal bank by gluing or taping the top to the bottom and cutting a slit at the top for coins.
Green art products are manufactured, formulated and packaged with the environment in mind. More and more companies are creating products that are safer for the environment and for our children to use. You can find a variety of colored pencils, paints, screen-printing inks and paper that are all eco-friendly. In addition to the actual materials, you can also find equipment that is green such as an easel.
Resources For Green Art Projects
- Artists Helping Children: Egg Carton Crafts for Kids: List of crafts and art projects from egg cartons for kids to participate in.
- Making Friends: Crafts from Recycled Products: List of ideas for art projects.
- Make Stuff: Recycle It: Resource for art projects and crafts for kids that can be made from household items and items in nature.
- All Free Crafts: List of free craft ideas – including recycled environmental art projects for kids.
- Creativity Portal: Children’s Art Instruction: Art instruction ideas – including recycled items.
- eHow: How to Make an Advanced Art Project Using Recycling: Instructions on how to make art projects from recycled items.
- Web Urbanist: Art from Trash: Information about seven artists who created art from trash.
- Aluminous Publishing: Resource for crafting e-books from aluminum items.
- Craft Bits: Recycled Chalkboard: Art project instructions for recycled chalkboard.
- Crafting a Green World: Eco Art Supplies Exist: Information on eco art supplies and resources to learn more about green crafting.
- Rex Art: Green Art Supplies: Information on the available green art supplies including easels, pens, pencils and inks.
- Dick Blick: Commitment to Being Green: Eco-Friendly products available.
- Cheap Joe’s: Green Art Supplies: Green product information and listing of available materials.
- Green America: Are Art Supplies Toxic?: Article that explains the danger of art supplies.
- Own a Daycare: Environmentally-Friendly Art Supplies: Resource for environmentally-friendly art supplies for preschoolers.
- Inhabitots: 5 Eco-Friendly Art Supplies for Green Kids: List of five products that are eco-friendly art supplies.
- Happy Hippie: Art/Gifts: Informational resource on eco-friendly art.
- The Green Parent: A Rainbow of Green Art Supplies: The benefits of using green art supplies.
- Green Living: Safe and Eco-Friendly Art Supplies: Article on the safety of eco-friendly art supplies for kids.
- Craft Gossip: Lesson Plans: Eco-friendly art lesson plans for kids.
- Lesson Planet: Eco Friendly Art Project Lesson Plans: List of lesson plans for eco-friendly art.
- KinderArt: New Zealand Koru Art: Art lesson on Koru art.
- Teaching Tips: 50 Ways to Go Green in the Classroom: Class projects on going green and eco-friendly.
- Masters in Education: 100 Great, Green Lessons for the Classroom: List of 100 lessons for eco-friendly education.