Display your Creativity: Become a Graphic Designer
Graphic design is a creative field which incorporates technology, art, and strategic thinking. The objective of graphic design is to communicate information via a visual platform. A graphic designer has to understand the spirit of the message and explore innovative designing options for disseminating the message.
- American Graphic Design: Details the history of American graphic design during the early 20th century.
History of Graphic Design Graphic Design
The history of graphic design goes back to the time of early human civilization. Designs and etchings found in the caves of Lascaux, France are considered one of the earliest evidences of graphic design. The Roman Trojan Columns and the illuminated manuscripts belonging to the Middle Ages are some other examples of early graphic design. As a discipline, graphic design is a comparatively new concept. William Addison Dwiggins coined the term ‘Graphic Design’ in 1922. During the late 19th century, Kelmscott Press, headed by William Morris, published some monumental books covering the Arts and Crafts Movement. These books laid the foundation for graphic designs in the coming century.
- Graphic Design: An introduction to graphic design.
- Graphic Design Evolution: Provides an exciting new history of graphic design.
- Graphic Design Timeline: A historical timeline of computer graphics and animation.
Tips and Tricks
To be successful in the field, it’s vital for a graphic designer to have knowledge of some of the fundamental tips and tricks. Logos are trademark designs which symbolises companies. The goal of a successful logo design is to keep it visually simple. This would enable the audience to process the visual information faster and also assist in retention of the image. A simple logo will require less time to be altered in color or size. Color selection is another area to be mastered. It’s essential to have a clear understating of the psychology of color as well as the corporate image of the company which is projected through the graphic design. A clear concept of white spaces makes the design more visually appealing. Adequate white space un-clutters the page, balancing text and graphic elements optimally.
- Graphic Design Basics: Elaborates the rules-of-thumb for the basic principles of graphic design.
- Graphic Design Tips: Cutting-edge software plus design tips and tricks.
- Inserting a Site ID: Offers essential tips such as inserting a Site ID.
Careers for Graphic Designers
There are several career paths available to graphic designers. The primary job titles include art director, graphic designer, production artist, and creative director. The task of graphic designers is arranging the visual elements in print, web, video or other types of media. The responsibilities can also encompass illustration, interactive design, and photography.
- Designer Careers: Discusses career opportunities in graphic and web design.
- Designing Jobs: A list of job opportunities in graphic and web design.
- Hot Careers: Tomorrow’s hot career opportunities.
Graphic Design Schooling
Although there are several successful graphic designers who are self taught, it’s still important to possess a bachelor’s degree in graphic design in order to gain a firm foothold in the industry. Since there are frequent upgrades of existent graphic design software such as Corel Draw and Adobe Photoshop, updating oneself constantly and keeping track of the latest advancements in visual media is extremely important as well.
- Graphic Design Programs: Provides Online Graphic Design Certificate Programs.
- Academy of Art: One of the most esteemed graphic design schools.
- Graphic Design Tricks: More important tips for graphic designers.
A graphic design portfolio represents the skills of the graphic designer. It’s the key tool by which the graphic designer promotes his or her work. The first step in creating a good portfolio is selecting a portfolio case which is of the right style and size. It is recommended that grey or white background paper is used for creating the portfolio. The portfolio should contain a strong piece of visual design at the end.
- Portfolio: Contains a sample of a graphic design portfolio.
- Designer Portfolios: A list of links to graphic designer portfolios.
Web designing pertains to the creation of content and graphics for delivering messages through the World Wide Web to the end user. Web enabled software such as web browsers, RSS readers, and micro-blogging clients are the media through which web designed content and visuals are communicated. The dividing line between web design and graphic design is somewhat blurred. Similarities of web design and graphic design include using texts and typography. A graphic designer has to develop a good understanding of the effects of color on the mood of the audience. Integrating symmetry of design and layouts, plus the use of software programs to design graphic elements are also part of the web designing skill set.
- Web Design Basics: Offers website design tools, tips, and tricks.
- Web Design Resources: Provides self-help web design resources.
- Web Layout: Some tips on basic web design and layout.
Overall, the field of graphic design is quite interesting. It transforms with the changing culture, times, and technological innovations. In today’s world, graphic design is ubiquitous. It’s manifested in almost everything people purchase and read.
- Print and Graphic Design: Discusses graphic design and the print media.