Impulse buying is a long-established concept in marketing, and it shows no signs of slowing down. According to one survey, 64% of adults in the United States increased their impulse spending in 2022. The average monthly amount spent is $314, up from just $183 two years prior.
Impulse buys can be a significant part of sales strategies for small, low-cost items, and counter displays are one of the best ways to promote them. Eye-catching countertop displays can appeal to many motivations for impulse buying while being affordable and sturdy. Whatever your products look like, these displays are an excellent choice across industries.
What Is Impulse Buying?
Impulse buying refers to spontaneous purchases made by consumers without much logical thought. It can come from various places, like a reminder of a pleasant memory or even the fear of missing out. Hawkins Stern, one of the first people to study impulse behavior, outlined four levels of impulse buying in his theory:
- Pure: At this first level, someone might make a last-minute buy at a store without much thought behind it. They simply see it, decide they want it and add it to their purchase.
- Reminder: A reminder impulse buy is based on connections someone makes between two products. For instance, placing sprinkles near the ice cream aisle could offer a reminder to buy both.
- Suggested: Suggested impulses happen when customers are introduced to something they didn’t know they needed, like a unique new product or a warranty.
- Planned: Although they might sound counterintuitive, planned impulses occur when the customer plans to buy something, but they don’t know exactly what. For example, they may wander into a store they know is having a sale without a clear purchase in mind.
More modern research tells us that impulse buying is still going strong. People do it about equally online and in-store and 67% of surveyed people say that spontaneous shopping sprees positively affect their moods. Happiness, excitement and boredom are some of the top motivators, but many make impulse purchases to avoid missing out on something, too.
Capturing Impulse Buyers With Counter Displays
One of the most popular settings for impulse buying is at the checkout counter. As they wait in line or talk to the cashier, customers have time to let their eyes wander.
Cardboard counter displays are the perfect way to grab their attention and invoke feelings of nostalgia, must-have deals and other triggers for impulse buying. These displays often hold smaller items in custom, sturdy structures. You can build brand visibility in a small space without spending a fortune.
Retail environments can get busy, but corrugated cardboard counter displays stand up to bumps and repositioning, and a good design allows you to stand out. Here are some popular ways to use counter displays:
- Promote special offers: Many buyers in one survey made impulse purchases because they thought the price was too good to pass up. Counter displays are a great spot for good deals.
- Cross-sell other products: You can also use counter displays to promote related items next to larger purchases. For example, you might put HDMI cables next to a TV display. They could remind the person they need a cable. Plus, when compared to the cost of the larger item, a relatively pricey item can seem much cheaper.
- Lean on psychological triggers: Counter displays can help you appeal to certain emotions. You might use an upcoming holiday to tug on the heartstrings or mention your “TikTok-famous” product so customers feel like they can’t miss out. A counter display could also serve as a reminder, such as not forgetting the batteries during Christmas, or introduce the customer to a problem that your product solves.
Choose your items carefully and consider your demographic as you decide how to design and use your countertop display.
Common Items for Counter Displays
You’ll see counter displays in nearly every industry, from gas stations and restaurants to clothing stores and salons. In 2022, the top impulse buy categories were:
- Food and groceries
- Household items
- Spa services
Usually, countertop displays are reserved for small, low-cost items like snacks, accessories and beauty items. People typically give higher-priced items more consideration, so impulse-buy products should be cheap enough that buyers don’t need to think about them too much.
This threshold can vary from store to store. A $30 pair of headphones might seem expensive compared to candy bars but a drop in the bucket next to a new $800 smartphone. Consider the product’s placement and environment when building a countertop display.
Benefits of Custom Counter Displays
Custom counter displays are particularly useful for promoting impulse-buy items. Their benefits include:
Because counter displays are typically made of corrugated cardboard, they’re incredibly easy to customize and tailor to your brand’s needs. You can print unique, high-quality designs and innovative display styles that match your product and promote it effectively. Uniquely shaped products also benefit from sturdy and flexible display designs.
Good countertop displays can help your product stand out in a crowded space and maximize the value of your product’s placement.
Unsurprisingly, corrugated cardboard displays are affordable. They can fit tight budgets and leave room for you to focus on stellar designs and other aspects of your product. They’re also easy to manufacture and lightweight, so transportation is straightforward. You won’t need to move pallets or heavy structures to put your items on display.
Despite their low cost, corrugated cardboard counter displays are quite durable. They’re still considered a temporary solution, but they can stand up to the occasional bump or someone leaning another product against the display. They offer structural support for many types of products without complex design requirements.
4. Ease of Use
Some displays can be hard for employees to put together, resulting in damage. Cardboard countertop displays are simple to use and can be set up by one employee. Easy setup can help you improve the image of your brand at many different retailers.
Whatever your goals entail, cardboard countertop displays can help you promote impulse purchases and reach your buyers more effectively.
Create Custom Counter Displays With Creative Displays Now!
If you’re ready to promote your products as impulse buys, you’ll need an exceptional corrugated cardboard counter display. That’s where Creative Displays Now! comes in. We offer fully customized designs and conduct every step in-house, from prototyping to distribution. Because we do everything in one place, we offer some of the fastest speeds in the business and over 99% on-time orders.
With Creative Displays Now!, you’ll get the skills of over 60 structural designers and a company with over 60 years of experience in the business. We know the ins and outs of display specifications for major retailers and can help you design the perfect display for your product. See some examples of our work online, then reach out today to get started!